Fried Chicken with Sweet Hoisin Sauce

Thursday, May 6, 2010

I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight YEAH,
I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight
I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight
When I was studying in Australia many moons ago, there was this series of television ads, where those words were sung by actors (ranging from school kids to life savers on the beach) as they 'flapped' their arms in a movement similar to the chicken dance. I have no idea if the ads are on Aussie TV anymore, but the song got stuck in my mind even though its been 14 years since I left Australia to come back to Malaysia.

If I had it my way, I feel like chicken every night. But I'm not cooking for only myself anymore so I need to have variety in my cooking. Nonetheless, I (really do) feel like chicken tonight and it is going to be chicken tonight!

I was searching for ideas on how to cook my chicken tonight when I stumbled upon this:

My Recipe folder... full of recipes collected from various editions of the Malaysian Women's Weekly over the years.

And smack right on the cover of this folder is a recipe for Fried Chicken with Sour Plum Sauce.

Seeing that I don't have plum sauce, I decided to make do replace the sour plum sauce with Sweet Hoisin Sauce.

What was used:

For the chicken: 500g of chicken thigh pieces, cut into smaller pieces; 1 egg white; 2 tsp salt; oil for deep frying

For the marinade: 1 large onion, blended; 3 tbsp oyster sauce; 3 tbsp light soy sauce; 3 tbsp ginger juice

For the sauce: 2 tbsp of hoisin sauce mixed with 1/2 cup of water; 2 tsp corn starch dissolved in water

Lets cook:

1. Clean the chicken; rub with salt; rinse with water. Pat dry. Season with marinade. Leave for 45 mins.

2. Dip chicken into egg white; coat with thin layer of corn flour.

3. Heat oil in wok over high fire. When hot, deep-fry chicken until it turns golden brown. Drain; set aside.

4. To prepare sauce, pour the hoisin sauce mixed with water in a clean pan. When sauce is boiling, add the corn starch; stir until the sauce thickens into gravy texture.

5. Pour the thickened sauce over the cooked chicken and serve immediately.
Fried Chicken with Sweet Hoisin Sauce

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Of Sugar & Spice Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino